Albany welcomes you to its Walking Tour Through History
Begin at the Albany Visitor Center:
- DEPOT – The first train, the Texas Central, steamed into Albany from Cisco in 1881. The current MKT depot is the third one for the town. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark
- ALBANY NEWS – “Oldest Journalistic Venture West of the Brazos.” Originally published in Fort Griffin as the Frontier Echo, it was moved to Albany in 1882. In 1884, it merged with the Albany Star and became the Albany News.
- JAIL – Erected in 1877-78. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- ICE HOUSE – Was built in 1926 as an ice making and distribution center for the Weset Texas Utilities. Later, Fandangle props and costumes were stored in it. Today it is a popular restaurant specializing in Tex-Mex, catfish and other local favorites.
- SEARS HOUSE – This is a Modern Home mail-ordered from Sears Roebuck and Co. and assembled in 1920. These home kits could be ordered from the Sears catalog and came with all or the items necessary for building the structure.
- RYE-CAPERTON HOUSE – Was built in fort Griffin in 1874 by newspaper publisher Edgar Rye who moved the house to Albany in 1879. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- HILL HOUSE – Was built in 1883 by A. W. Duffey who built Albany’s first public school. He later sold it to L. H. Hill. It was authentically restored in 1968 by members of the James Sanders family.
- COURTHOUSE – Built in 1883-84 and restored in 2000. It is reputed to be the oldest courthouse in the state still used in its original form. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- NAIL HOUSE – Built in 1914, this prairie style house was the home of playwright and Fandangle creator Robert Nail. Prior to the Nail house, this was the site of the Barre Hotel. It was from this hotel that Mary Larn heard the shots that killed her husband, John Larn.
- MAKESHIFT JAIL – Location of the temporary jail where suspected cattle thief John Larn was shot by the vigilante committee in 1878.
- JACKSON WAREHOUSE – This structure was built in the 1870s by T. E. Jackson of Fort Griffin. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- WHITE ELEPHANT SALOON (Blach Building) – Structure dates to 1884. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- HARTFIELD BUILDING – This stone structure dates to 1885. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- WHITNEY BUILDING – Built as a one-story rock structure in the 1880s. After a fire in 1894, it was rebuilt as another one-story. In 1926, local merchant E. E. Whitney remodeled it into the current two-story building. For many years it was part of several car dealerships.
- ALBANY AUTO – Built in 1893, it was the first brick business in town. At one time, the Post Office was located here.
- DOLLAR GENERAL – A frame structure on the site housed Fort Griffin merchant Frank Conrad’s store in the 1880s. The present building dates to 1893. Early tenants included three furniture stores and a mortuary.
- LYNCH BUILDING – Built in two stages in 1878/1882, this was Albany’s first stone mercantile store. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
- CITY HALL – Built as Albany National Bank in 1883, U. S. Senator Thomas L. Blanton had his office on the second floor.
- JACOBS-FISHER BUILDING – Built by Scottish stonemason Patrick McDonnell for land agents Henry Jacobs and Judge Fisher in 1884. Early tenants were a bakery, Albany Telephone Co. and the Oddfellows Lodge. Dances were held on the bottom floor.
- MCDONNEL BUILDING – Built in 1884 by Patrick McDonnel, stonemason on the courthouse. It was the home of the City Grocery for many, many years.
- DRUG STORE/SPECIALTY SHOP – Built as a two-part building in 1900 by contractor Jim Ackerman for D. A. Nance and Eli Myers. Since 1920, part of the building has housed several drug stores, the first being Sanders Drug.
- BANK – This building dates to 1914. The first bank, The Albany Bank, was organized in 1883 as a private bank. The current national charter dates from 1884.
- GEORGIA MONUMENT – Erected as a memorial to those soldiers from Georgia who died in the Texas Revolution.
- LEDBETTER PICKET HOUSE – Built near Fort Griffin by W. H. Ledbetter in the 1880s and moved to Albany in the 1950s. Site of a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark marker.
View Walking Tour of Albany Texas in a larger map